Owning a cat: 17 Reason it's awesome to own a cat
- by DR Roxanne Jones
Ask any cat owner about their beloved furbaby, and they’ll give you a hundred reasons they love them – complete with photos! Here we’ve managed to whittle the list down to just 17 (of the best) reasons to own a cat. If you think we’ve missed any, be sure to let us know in the comments.
- You can always be yourself around your cat. With your cat, you can feel whatever you want to feel and be whoever you are. Your kitty will love you unconditionally, regardless.
- Your cat can inspire you to chill more. Take a peek at your kitty. She’s probably lying stretched out in the sun, perfectly relaxed. Learn to do the same every now and then – it’s good for you!
- Cats can make you laugh– and it’s proven that laughter is great for your health. Just check out the hilarious cat compilations on YouTube!
- Owning a cat has been shown to lower stress and anxiety levels.Less stress means better health and a reduced chance of heart attacks.
- The sound of a cat’s purr releases endorphins and oxytocin in humans – the ‘happy’ hormones that make you feel relaxed and lower your stress levels.
- Cats show us loyaltyMost kitties have the freedom to roam wherever they like, yet they always come home to us.
- Kitty + their person = a bond for life.Treat your kit with love and devotion, and you’ll form an unbreakable bond.
- Constant companionship. Your cat will play with you, cuddle with you on the couch, curl up with you in bed, and simply hang out with you.
- Cats are low maintenance. Unlike dogs, cats don’t need to be walked, and they don’t seek out as much attention. Cats tend to love according to their own terms and conditions, but the love of a cat is unlike any other.
- You can own a cat even if you have (mild) allergies. Some breeds of cat are considered low or hypo-allergenic, like Siamese, Oriental, Sphynx and Russian Blue.
- Cats can actually help improve allergies Some studies have found that kids who grow up around cats may have fewer allergies and skin conditions.
- Owning a cat can teach your kids valuable life skills Looking after and caring for a pet teaches your kids to be responsible, and it’s something the whole family can be involved in.
- Cats are perfect for busy families. Because they’re independent, kitties don’t need constant attention.
- They’re self-cleaning. Cats bathe themselves (how awesome!) and require little additional care. The exception however is long-haired cats like Persians, which may require extra grooming to prevent knotting and matting of their luxurious fur.
- Cats don’t need to be house-trained. Cats like to use litter boxes and are extremely easy to potty train. Most kittens start using their litter box with little or no help from their new family.
- Pest control. Many cats are avid hunters and will help to control rodents in your home.
- They’re greener than dogs. Here’s a weird but cool fact about cats: they’re responsible for lower carbon emissions than dogs. Cat food and cat by-products produce far less carbon emissions than those linked to dogs. As a comparison, think: cat = Golf and dog = Hummer!
Whatever pet you own, enjoy every moment with your furry bestie. There are countless amazing reasons to own either cats or dogs (or both!). Here’s to many happy years together. Check out more articles about cat health and well-being, or browse our online shop to find the best quality treats for your beloved furbaby.